> Did Pentax make a high performance K mount 2X teleconvertor for
> long lenses? I want one to try on my SMCK 1000mm F8.

I just dug out the Pentax user manual for the Rear Converter A's,
JCO, and it seems that:

1.  The A 2X-S should work OK on the K 1000/8.

2.  The A 1.4X-S will show some corner vignetting on the 1000/8.

3.  Both the A 1.4X-L and the A 2X-l will work fine on the 1000/8.

Since the two "L" models will indeed fit into the lens mount end of
the 1000/8, and since these two TC's are specifically designed for
many of the long lenses, I'd recommend using either of them over any
other TC for the K 1000/8.  The "L" TC's really seem to be sweet
performers on the long lenses that can accept them (and I am basing
that statement on personal experience with both "L" TC's on a few of
my own lenses, plus almost universally favorable comments about
their use on other long lenses here on the PDML.)

The only down side would be the color clash - the battleship-gray of
the "L" TC's will look a little funny on the back end of that big
black 1000/8 - <g>.  Problems, problems...  ;-)

Fred