> Well, I guess, "S" and "L" just stand for short lenses versus Long
> lenses, but the "L" converters themselves are quite "Long" too :-)

I've always assumed that the "L" stood for "long" TC and the "S" for
"short" TC, rather than referring to the focal lengths of the lenses
to be attached.  (However, I honestly don't know what Pentax's
intent was...)

>>The "snout" to which you refer- is that cause for incompatibility
>>with certain lenses of a more conventional focal length, like a 80-200?
>>

> Yes, you have to be very carefull when trying it on a new lens, measure
> first, then measure again!

Very good point.  One really doesn't want to find out "the hard way"
(by "snout to rear element contact" that an "L" TC isn't compatible
with a particular lens - <g>.  (I did provide measurements and
measuring hints in another post in this thread.)

Fred