On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 7:53 PM, Brian Walters <apathy...@lyons-ryan.org> wrote:
> Quoting Matthew Hunt <m...@pobox.com>:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 6:55 PM, Igor Roshchin <s...@komkon.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Just in case:
>>> If you are concerned about e-mails that you are sending to PDML from
>>> your Yahoo account via Yahoo smtp servers, than the recent change
>>> described in the links posted by Matthew should not affect you.
>>>
>>> It affects only Yahoo users who are sending e-mail via smtp servers
>>> OTHER than those from Yahoo.
>>>
>>> (The second link's post explains how to fix the problem:
>>> "Endusers can do a couple things. For one-to-one mail make sure you're
>>> using the Yahoo outgoing mail servers and that should fix the problem
>>> without you having to really make any change." )
>>

>> The Yahoo change does affect him, in the sense that his emails to the
>> PDML will be marked as spam for those of us who receive them on Gmail
>> and certain other providers.
>>
>> John uses Yahoo's SMTP servers to send mail to the PDML. The PDML mail
>> server sends John's mail (with a Yahoo "From" address) to my Gmail
>> account (and everyone else on the list). Gmail sees the mail with
>> John's Yahoo "From" address, but it didn't come from Yahoo's SMTP
>> server--it came from the PDML mail server. Gmail, as requested by
>> Yahoo's DMARC records, marks that message as spam.
>>
>> Basically, people with Yahoo addresses can't participate effectively
>> on mailing lists anymore.
>
> So, what on earth is Yahoo's justification for this?  Some sort of security
> issue?
>
> To the uninformed masses (me included), it just seems nuts.

It's a misguided (and misfiring) attempt by Yahoo to cut down on spam.
Yes, it's nuts. They don't call 'em Yahoo! for nothing.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9247512/Yahoo_email_anti_spoofing_policy_breaks_mailing_lists

Anyone sending mail from a Yahoo account to the PDML should go get
another email account, not on Yahoo, and use that for PDML mail. Until
Yahoo smartens up, or forever, whichever is shorter.

The other fix is for _everyone_ to install an email filter that
exempts all PDML mail from spam filtering. Unhappily, that is doomed
as lots of folks don't know how and filters can have annoying
side-effects (like in Gmail).

--
-bmw