Hi Bruce -

The hexagonal shape of the highlights is (as you surmise) a result of the compound eye. I use a flash mounted parallel to the lens - it is actually shooting over the bug but a bounce card pushes some light down onto it and the weaker part of the 'cone of light" does the rest. Some of the shots show dual catch lights - the brighter is the sun and the dimmer is my fill flash.

One open item for the K-3 will be to see how moire shows up in the eyes of the bugs. That is the one place where I saw it in the past with other digital cameras (*ist-D, K-10, K-7 and K5). I wonder how the K-3 will fare with that. (With the other cameras it was only noticeable in actual pixel mode - or by looking at a print with a magnifying glass!) Too soon to say with just a handful of bug shots so far...

Mark