Brings back memories. :-)

The temperature depends on the solder you're using. Try to get 63/37 %
tin/lead with flux core or they lead-free RoHS equivalent solder. Use
a 700F (370C) degree tip or set the controller to that temp. When it's
up to speed your solder will melt on the tip instantaneously. Wip off
the tip on a wet sponge.

Get yourself a hand pumped solder sucker. It will save you tons of hassles.
http://www.amazon.ca/Elenco-Solder-Sucker-desoldering-pump/dp/B0002KRAAG

Also get small 4" needle nosed pliers.

To disconnect the motors, apply the hot tip until you see the solder
flow then apply the tip of the primed solder sucker and pop it. That
will clean all traces of solder off the motor contact points and let
you remove the wire with fine needle nosed pliers. Repeat on all
wires. Clean the hot tip often on the wet sponge or a hunk of folded
wet paper towel.

To reconnect them, attach the wire mechanically if you can (eg loop it
around the metal contact with the pliers), then simultaneously apply
the solder and the hot tip to the contact where the wire is. Let a
tiny amount of solder melt there. You don't want to create a big blob
at that point. The solder should lie in a concave shape when you are
done.

It's best to apply a tiny amount of solder to the end of the hot tip
just before applying it to the contacts you are working on as it will
then transfer heat faster.

I'd practice on some junk wire and an old circuit board or something
before you go for the real thing. It takes a little practice to avoid
melting too much insulation on the wires.

Avoid getting the soldering iron anywhere near adjacent parts or
wires. It will melt stuff real fast.

Have fun!

--
-bmw