Followup:

I've been testing a piece of software called "Disk Drill" for OSX which says it
recognizes Olympus RAW files.

It's done a stellar job on tests with my formatted cards pulling up old DMG
files (which, for some reason - Pentax tag in the EXIF, perhaps? - it is
recovering as "image0001.pef" not "image0001.dmg").

The interesting thing is I've shot exclusively RAW for years.  The software is
finding 600+ RAW files on the card as well as about 50 JPEGS.  This makes me
wonder if "chimping" is somehow writing a preview JPEG image into the RAW file
somehow that is ending up in the file/on the card??

So - I'm going to try my friend's Olympus card on Monday and will report back!
Barring physical damage to components inside the card, I am cautiously
optimistic.

 -Charles

--
Charles Robinson - charl...@visi.com