On Jul 25, 2014, at 6:56 am, Steve Sharpe <d...@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> My Raleigh C40 (schrader valves) was flat after two years. I pumped them up a
> few weeks ago but when I went to ride it the front tire was flat. Took it
> apart and the tube was shredded. I don't know when it exploded, because I
> didn't hear anything. That one usually holds air better than the Super Course.

My guess is that the rubber perished.  I've had that happen once before.  It'll
look like lots of cracks in the rubber.

> My wife is in the same mode as you. This year her tires go flat every few
> days, but no one can find a leak in them. Usually they need topping up every
> few months as well (Prestas). I suspect a leaky valve.

Could be the valve, some tubes have removable cores.  I had a tire that used to
go flat at about that rate.  Tightened up the valve core and the problem went
away.  That was a more expensive tube (Continental brand) than what I normally
use.  My usual cheapies don't have removable valve cores.

Take the tube out, put a little air in and dunk it in a bucket of water.  If
there's a slow leak you'll see a stream of bubbles.

Cheers,
Dave