I try to keep the tires at the recommended max of 80psi. I can pump them to 80 ride, come back several days later and the pressure has fallen to around 40 or less. One tube is only 1 year old and the other is 3 years old but they both lose pressure. I'm beginning to suspect a reduced quality of the tubes in general, but I will double check the valves to make sure they're tight.

Thanks all.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob W-PDML" <p...@web-options.com>
Subject: Re: Way OT -- Arcane bicycle question

I normally ride about 100 miles a week and like to keep a high pressure in the tyres, which are 700x25 at the moment and I pump them up to just over 100 psi. Usually after about 2 weeks I feel as though they need a bit more so I give them a bit more, but it's usually not much.

In France I pumped them up after about 10 days. I'd lost quite a lot of air quite suddenly from the front, but it turned out that the valve had loosened up a bit and I didn't have to do any patching.

How old are the tubes on yours? Maybe you have a slow puncture. Life's too short to mess around with that type of stuff when new tubes are so cheap.