----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Brogden
Subject: Re: Color is So Much Easier

> On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Shel Belinkoff wrote:
>
> > First of all, I never said that B&W negative didn't have a
decent
> > exposure latitude. However, similar results aren't exact
results.
> > The difference between a good photograph and a great
photograph is
> > found in the subtleties.  While a film may have a wide
exposure
> > latitude, there is very little latitude for precise
exposure - the
> > exposure needed to get exactly what you want on the film.
>
> This is true for colour film as well as B&W.  Bracketing
colour shots to
> ensure the best exposure requires no less skill than
bracketing B&W ones.
> Again, it comes down to the photographer and technique, not to
film type.

Not quite, Chris. If we explore the question of film type by
reversal/ colour neg/B&W neg, then film type is very
significant. The nature of black and white gives the
photographer comparatively infinite conrol over the negative
compared to the colour films.
Colour processes are relatively static, pretty much one size
fits all.

William Robb