If it works like it did when I bought the Mac Mini, you make a "recovery disk" on an 8GB thumb drive. It doesn't have anything on it but the OS & possibly some files needed to make the thumb drive bootable.

It won't recover your data, you have to back that up separately.

Probably best to do it before the drive gives you problems.