First let me say that I would never dismiss color as a lesser form of
photography.  I've only recently got into B&W and I must say I'm having a
blast.  I am terrible at candid/street photography but really enjoy shooting
portraits of my wife (the happless victim...) in B&W (I'll post them on my
website when I get time...).

I am one of those that has fits when B&W movies are colorized.  It's
sacreligous!  The original DPs used the medium available to it's fullest
form.  Lighting, shadows, camera angles, etc were all done with the B&W film
in mind.  When you colorize it you ruin the original artistry.  (not only
that but the process is by no menas perfect and it looks like crap!)

Janusz Kaminski who filmed Schindler's List is one of the most brilliant
cinematographers around.  The movie was filmed as I stated above with
lighting shadow, etc. using B&W film to it's advantages.

What about watching color movies on a B&W TV?  Obviously you lose everything!
 Especially films like The Wizard of OZ which did the "transistion" so
beautifully.  Color was an integral part of that movie just as B&W was an
integral part of Schindler's List (and the subtle use of color in that movie
as well).

Photographs and film are meant to be seen as the artist intended them.

Christian