On 9 Nov 2014, at 09:21, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>> On Nov 8, 2014, at 11:59 PM, David Mann <dmann...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I almost lost all of my photos a few years ago when my external drive
>> started to misbehave, so my advice is to make sure you have two drives and
>> keep them synchronised.  I keep my "B" drive in a separate building to
>> minimise the risk from fire or burglary.  The earthquakes weren't big enough
>> to find the flaw in my plan
>
> Thanks, David. It’s become clear in the course of preparing for this move
> that I need a completely new backup system. Currently I have two 1 Tb
> FireWire drives. Nowhere near enough, especially now that photos, and RAW
> files at that, are accumulating faster than they used to.
>
> I’m thinking of a setup that would provide hot-swappable drives and wifi
> accessibility.

Not sure what benefit that would give you. Wifi slows things down enormously
compared to a wired external drive. If you're not keeping anything on your
machine's local drive then you're probably better off with 2 wired external
drives and a regular backup job running automatically. This will be both
cheaper and faster than wifi.

You also need an offsite strategy in case the Big Bad Wolf blows your house
down.

You could shuffle a couple of backup drives between home and work once a week,
but this relies on you having the discipline to do it, and has the weakness
that at some point both backups are in the same place for a day, and therefore
a temptation for the BBW.

Or you could get some cloud storage and let your data trickle-feed up to there.
If you have cloud storage then you don't need your backup external drive.