While yes, some-30-lbs capacity is an overkill for an SLR (and insuficient to hold a kid who is older than ~2.5 years :-) ), --
if you want to have a camera with a long length on it (and extended),
it might be a good candidate, especially if the previous "step" is some 4 pounds.

Thank you, Steve, for the link to the TiltAll blogsite.
Indeed, buried in it is the suggestion of how to replace that bushing (that's the right term I couldn't think of while writing the previous message!) around the central column.

So, I am curious now, - after having all those beefy tripods, - which one(s) have you setlled on?

Igor