Malcolm -

1- If you are not invested in one piece of software or another, or one workflow vs another, then the question is simply "Which is better for me - LR or PS?" If you are invested in a particular workflow then the question becomes "Do the advantages of LR over PS (or vice versa) justify the effort it would take to switch software?" Those are two distinctly different questions.

I've been using PS seriously since 2001 and have developed a workflow and various enhancement processes that work for me and rely on features found in PS. In particular, I learned Photoshop from someone who taught it as a layer based photographic manipulation tool. I can't think of the last time that I made a serious photo and did not have some editing involving layers. For me, changing over to Lightroom would require that I relearn many processes that I can do in seconds in PS using layers. That is not to say that those processes cannot be done in LR - I am pretty sure most or all can be, but LIghtroom offers no advantages to me that would offset the investment I would have to make to learn how to use it.

But - if I was not invested in PS, then LR would probably be the way to go. I would simply learn to do things in the LR environment vs PS and reap some of the benefits that LR offers specifically for photographers.

2 - From my trial of Lightroom some time ago it seemed to offer some workflow advantages to photographers who shoot products, portraits, weddings, etc. It nicely integrates features for making portfolios, uploading them to the web, etc. If I did that kind of work then using LR, or adding LR to PS would probably make sense. I am sure that there are other photography specific workflow enhancements that LR has that PS does not that are beneficial to commercial photographers. Those are not too important to me since I only shoot for my own amusement, but could be a significant reason to select LR over PS.

3. LR has established itself as a core tool for photographers and will probably continue to dominate Photographic processing. For someone starting out, learning LR would probably help you plug into a greater knowledge base now and in the future.

On a related note, both LR and PS are core photographic / graphic tools. Most third party tools, as capable as they may be, simply do not have the support community behind them that you will find with Adobe products. I used Corel Photopaint in the 1990's before switching to PS. It was a great tool but I have never regretted switching to PS - there is just so much more nfo about how to do things in PS that alone made the switch worthwhile. Again - if you are working just for yourself there are many options out there that could be fine.

Personally, I use PS and Thumbsplus v7 (a very simple thumbnail and cataloging system) to manage my collection of images. In addition to PS, I use Photomatix, Zerene Stacker and several other tools on a regular basis. One of the advantages of PS is that it allows me to take output files from different tools and unify them through blending of layers. When LR supports layers I might consider adding it as a tool and ultimately migrating to it, but for now the only advantages I see in LR are in how it better supports a professional workflow (irrelevant to my amateur workflow) and not in how it supports image adjustment.

Mark