On 7 Dec 2014, at 10:16, Malcolm Smith <rrve...@virginmedia.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I was almost certain I would need PS, and now I'm not sure I'll even get to
> a point where I will have a need for it at all. I'm going with LR, and I'm
> going to buy an upgrade for PSE. I will have many months of learning ahead
> of me. Should these products be later only available by cloud subscription,
> I will at least have what was available in 2014 on disc. I can see all these
> products only being available by monthly subscription at some point; from
> their point of view it must stop copies and all the production and
> distribution costs of supplying boxed software.
>
> Once again, it has been fascinating reading how list members use software.
>
> Malcolm

I think you'd do well to buy one or two of the books about LR and spend a
weekend working your way through them. There are really 3 major topics to
consider and they feedback into each other to some extent:

1. What is your storage (and back-up) strategy. In my experience it's best to
use LR to manage everything rather than mixing LR and your OS's capabilities

2. Understand LR's workflow and adapt it within reason to suit yourself, but
try not to fight against it

3. How to use the various tools to achieve your ends. Think of it in terms of
ends rather than means and you won't be so frustrated when you can't find
things you might expect, like layers perhaps, which are a means to an end
rather than an end in themself, and you won't waste your time trying to learn
stuff you'll never use.