On Jan 3, 2015, at 5:12 am, Steve Cottrell <co...@seeingeye.tv> wrote:

> In broadcast TV all material is shot in interlaced (hence 1080i) and
> broadcast interlaced. Cathode ray tube TVs display interlaced images.
> All LCD and LED  and Plasma TVs display progressive images - they
> convert on the fly in real time to progressive as you view. For web
> viewing any interlaced footage needs to be converted into progressive
> footage otherwise you will see nasty horizontal artifacts on any moving
> images. So it may be as well to shoot progressive (eg 1080p) with the
> gopro as you will no doubt want to share the video for viewing on
> computers or other LCD screens. Shooting at 720p is another option, less
> resolution but for web viewing, not a problem.

That's interesting but it makes me wonder why we'd ever shoot interlaced if all
the end use nowadays is progressive.

> Note that there are settings for 'wide, medium, narrow' and these relate
> to field of view. The gopro lens is fixed and cannot be zoomed, except
> by this method. So if the image is too wide for your taste or needs, set
> to medium for a less distorted image.

Knowing nothing about Gopro cameras, this is also interesting to me.  Only
because I see so much footage that annoys me because of a fisheye effect.  Do
the narrower views eliminate the distortion or just reduce it?

FWIW a lot of other companies are coming out with action cameras now, eg
Shimano and Garmin.  I'm not sure if Contour is still around.  It's good to see
some more companies getting involved.

I wouldn't mind playing with one of these things but when I think a bit more
seriously I just don't know what I'd want to achieve with it.

Cheers,
Dave