I am resending my reply to Ken, as I received a warning from the
server that my message was too long.

For the whales and the surfers I rely mostly on my K-5 II S and the
70-300 zoom.  I would use the GoPro more for filming the sail to and
from the harbor and the views of the mountains and other islands we
will be passing.  If I take a flight to Kilauea on the Big Island, I
would also use it aloft to capture "the experience," although I would
rely on my DSLR for images of the flowing lava.

When the camera arrived, I ordered two high capacity high speed micro
SD cards to use exclusively with the GoPro.  They came yesterday, so I
put one in the camera, charged the battery and took it with me in the
car.  As an experiment. I placed it on a non-skid tray on my dashboard
and turned it on.  I didn't even check the settings, let alone change
any of them.  I left it on during my drive home.

When I got home, I placed the card in the adapter, stuck it in my
MacAir, and clicked on what looked to be the appropriate file.  It
certainly exceeded my expectations.  There was a lot of noise, but
then, it was totally dark except for the street lights, stop lights,
and taillights and headlights of other cars.  I could easily read the
road signs and the major landmarks on my way home, and it pretty much
recorded the trip and did a much better job than any other video
recorder I have used.  I tried it in reverse on my way to work in the
morning, but I haven't yet had an opportunity to check out the result.

Dan Matyola