Hi Brian,

I love using hiking poles even though I’m a young guy with no major health
issues. I can hike fine without poles but they definitely makes it easier on
really long, strenuous hikes with big elevation changes, or if I’m carrying a
lot of gear; I usually don’t bother on short hikes. I once did a big hike with
a friend who was out of shape and having a difficult time on the way back, so I
lent him one of my poles and it helped. They do help with balance, but also
takes some impact off the feet and knees, but the arms are now in on the
action. It’s not about using less energy but redistributing it which I think
can make things easier. There is some technique to get used to, but it’s not
hard to get into a rhythm with them. I think hiking poles are worth a try.

I’ve improvised a monopod on one of my hiking poles and it’s proved useful.
I’ve never heard of the Manfrotto ones and I may check them out myself.

Alex