Subject: Re: OT - Anyone with experience with hiking poles?

Quoting steve harley <p...@paper-ape.com>:

On 2015-03-02 23:02 , Brian Walters wrote:
I'm wondering whether one or two hiking poles might help - these are the
ones I'm considering:

http://www.photographybay.com/2015/01/16/manfrotto-officially-launches-off-road-backpacks-walking-sticks-tripods/

i've used hiking poles for 20 years or so, mainly for stability on mountain hikes and to give my knees a break; i don't think i've noticed that they help my stamina; i've used telescoping versions but the newer folding types can be lighter and quicker to pack/unpack

i've had a couple that had camera mounts, and i always thought it was a good idea, but in practice i never wound up using the feature; it could be more about my photography habits than about whether the idea works, but i think a quick release would be better than screw mount

Thanks for the feedback, Steve.

I'm not looking for them to help with stamina directly - I'm trying various exercise to help there - but, if they help with stability, that will hopefully help stamina indirectly.

I am a bit concerned about them just getting in the way but as I now use a small backpack rather than a shoulder bag, that might not be an issue. I'm also planning on leaving my Pentax gear behind on my next trip (shock! horror!) because I've bought a lightweight m43 system that's a lot easier to manage.

I don't expect I'd use the camera mount much if I go with the Manfrottos but it's probably nice to - just in case.

--
Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters