On 2015-03-24 19:01 , Darren Addy wrote:
If they are
made specific to a particular model's cavity, how plentiful do you
think those spare parts are going to be.

even if they weren't fitted to the case quite so precisely, most Apple batteries have been model-specific for years, and Apple has kept stock for some number of years (at least 3 or 4); if out of warranty, and if Apple has the battery, it will cost $129-199 for a full-service replacement

what this new design means is that there will be little or no market for third party batteries; i do think that's a small shame; this design is only for one model, aimed at a certain market, and that market is not much concerned with whether it can be repaired 5 years hence

fwiw, the oldest MacBook Pro still in our household is a 2009 13" model; battery weak, but reasonable

As I said, this is not an exclusively Apple problem. We have a
business laptop made by Dell that has the exactly the same problem.
Replacement batteries are no longer available, and this is a high end
laptop that is less than 2 years old

are you sure batteries aren't available on the third-party or used/scrapper market? alternatively, just use it plugged in (that may not work for you, but for many people it's a decent compromise on an older machine)

I'm surprised that no hardware company has yet adopted the Adobe CC
subscription model.

you can lease hardware, particularly from Dell; i think that's the equivalent to the software subscription model