On Tuesday, April 23, 2002, at 08:39  AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> There is more to lens flare than lens coatings. There
> are aspects to lens constuction that also have great
> effect. Some of the things are internal baffling,
> blackening the edges of the lens elements covering all
> the internal surfaces with flat black paint or flocking.
> Sigma isn't as good about this as the OEMs are. You
> still get what you pay for.

Still, Zeiss 80mm on a 'blad vs. Pentax SMC 105mm on a 67...the 105mm is
a lot cheaper and definitely harder to flare.  You'd think that Zeiss
would know what they were doing with internal baffling etc.

Now, I'm not saying that the Zeiss lens was flare-prone, because it
wasn't, it performed excellently.  But it did flare when the Pentax
didn't.

-Aaron