JCOC> stick with PENTAX. There is a guy on ebay
JCOC> who installs new split image screens in
JCOC> spotmatics for 59.99. Dont forget the
JCOC> F3.5 wide angles are slow and have too
JCOC> much depth of field to be "easy" to focus in
JCOC> any camera.
JCOC> JCO

Don't stick with Pentax ;-)

I have a Asahi SP1000 (basically Spottie II without some bits), and
the screen sucks (sorry wendy) in lowlight, even with 1.8/80 Zeiss
Jena lens...
Unfortunately, UNTIL the ME/MX line, about all Pentax viewfinders
"sucked" compared to competition, in terms of focusing screen
brightness and graininess. That's my opinion at least ;-) Your mileage
may vary, of course :)

OTOH,  the finder is great if there is some contrast or enough light.
Just not good for low light. I am currently thinking of fitting in a
trimmed modern focusing screen (e.g. LX screen) (I am already into the
SP1000's innards as I am doing a bit of CLA to it)

Of course, the split-image modif. the guy does would help in low
light, but I prefer to focus in such light not by split-image, but on
the groundglass itself, like with the LX. It's the fastest and most
positive in most cases. YMMV again ;)