On 6/16/2015 7:11 PM, Brian Walters wrote:
On Wed, Jun 17, 2015, at 05:26 AM, Bruce Walker wrote:
Also more expensive for folks like me who only need to upgrade about
every two or three major versions.

It's kinda like: what if Ford decided to remove the buy option and
went to a "you can only lease" option for all their cars. So you get
upgrades frequently but you are paying through the nose continuously
for the rest of your days for more car and upgrades than you may need.

I have an Audi I bought new in 1998. It still works just fine and I'm
happy with it. I simply couldn't afford the you must lease option for
that. Sure I'd be driving a 2014 Audi now, but I don't need it and I
can't afford it. There's nothing wrong with my 1998.

I don't like Adobe any more. I have to use their products to get what
I want, but I don't like them, especially their marketing division.
Software leasing is for well-heeled corporations, not retired folks on
a fixed income. But they don't give a fuck. They smelled a huge
cash-grab opportunity and went for it. Then high-fived each other for
the rest of the week.

I don't have any love for Adobe either but the subscription-based model
works for me. I can't get my head around Lightroom but I use Photoshop
all the time. I originally got a hand-me-down version of CS3 but there
was no way I was ever going to be able to fork out the outrageous cost
of moving to CS6.

But 10 bucks a month? That's affordable - at least for now.  And I still
have CS3 lurking in case Adobe get extra greedy...

Leasing automobiles works for some people too.

But if it doesn't work for you, you at least have the alternative to buy
an automobile. And if a new automobile is too expensive, you can buy a
used one. Plus, you can buy a Chevy, Toyota, VW ... if Ford's not your
cup of tea.

That model doesn't work with Adobe because they have an effectively
unregulated monopoly.

Don't forget that $10 a month is an INTRODUCTORY offer. The price was
supposed to double after one year.

Adobe backed off because of all the squawks, but they didn't say they
were abandoning the idea.