Hi Wendy,

Well, guess what?
About 6 months ago, I sold my Nikon Coolscan III to
someone in the US from here in Canada and when it got
to him, he said it wasn't working. I forgot to place a
shipping screw in the area you place the film / slide
holder, although the other shipping screw was in
place.
Turns out after a little checking up on my part, that
it was absolutely true and Nikon charged him over $300
to repair it and guess who was stuck with most of the
bill? Me, myself and I.
My replacement scanner was the Polaroid Sprintscan
4000.
No shipping screws are even needed with it.

The moral of the story is that Nikon Scanners Are Very
Delicate. I'm not so sure the missing shipping screw
did it, it was packed so well.
So, Beware of Shipping Nikon Scanners or even bumping
them too hard for that matter.

I don't think Canada or US Customs was the problem,
unless they have a practice of giving boxes that say
Fragile a nice Big Kick.

A Fellow Pentaxian,
Ryan Charron