I know that there are quite a few language and grammar geeks among PDMLers. That's why I thought I'd share this linguistic question that
got me puzzled.

I see that almost everybody who is talking about Circular Polarizers uses an abbreviation "CPL", either as a noun or adjective (e.g. CPL filter). The curious part is that none of the online photography articles and reviews that talks about "CPL" bothers to deabbreviate it. (Just as a reference, all scientific journals where I've published my articles require to define any abbreviation before using it for the first time, even for those that are common in the field.)

So, my question is "What does the `L' in CPL stand for?"
I have 3 versions of what it might be (or what photographers who use that abbreviation might mean), including a standard one that is typically used in optical methods in physics, chemistry and related areas of science. None of those 3 would be strictly speaking correct.
So, I am suspecting that I might be missing something more obvious.

So, what does the `L' in CPL stand for?

Thank you,

Igor