I understand that Igor.  Despite what evidences of ignorance I may
post here, I do know the difference between a lens and a filter.

I had assumed that the terminology originated when it was first
applied to a lens that had the polarizing built into the lens itself,
and that was later replaced by a filter that could be uses on any lens
of an appropriate diameter.

Dan Matyola