I vaguely remember from my school days that "Pork Bellies" was a
derisive slang term for the sutlers & other camp-following "merchants"
who trailed along behind the the Union Armies during the American Civil
War ... derived from the belly being the lowest part of the pig.

Today they'd be described as whale-shit, there being nothing lower
because it's on the bottom of the ocean.