To be fair, I don't think Gursky ever said Rhine II "represents reality":

"I wasn’t interested in an unusual, possibly picturesque view of the Rhine, but
in the most contemporary possible view of it. Paradoxically, this view of the
Rhine cannot be obtained in situ; a fictitious construction was required to
provide an accurate image of a modern river."

More here:

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/gursky-the-rhine-ii-p78372/text-summary

Cheers,

frank