A former colleague of mine developed an approach to teaching critical-thinking
skills. In brief, he would ask the student for the solution to a problem,
including  a listing of assumptions. He would then tell the student that all of
his assumptions were wrong: “so, what else could be going on?” And then keep
repeating that for 5-6 iterations.

Being part of the project, knowing all of the processes, I have still
frantically sought to add gas to a car with an electrical problem, replaced
perfectly good batteries in a device with a (cleverly hidden) on/off switch in
the off position, addressed the grading outside of the cabin to keep water from
infiltrating while ignoring the leaking water pipe under the sink, etc.

stan