[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Another thing that happens is that often a number of people, some with
 absolutely no intention of buying the item, place "marker" bids so that
 they can more easily track the auction.  This, too, drives the price up. >>

Now Shel,

I've got one of those "marker" bids on the A100/2.8 Macro that just appeared
here as 'an interesting item on eBay'.  I was the 3rd bidder.  It opened at
$91 and I bid $92 or $93.  I don't think I've driven the price up on this
item at all.  I expect it will ultimately sell for over $500.  If it comes in
at much less than that, I'll be back in bidding again.  This is a good way
for me to track that.

Regards,  Bob S.