With the stand-alone versions, you were allowed to install it on as many
computers as you wanted, but you could only have it "active" on two
computers and you could only be using one copy at a time.

If you wanted it active on a third computer, you had to DE-activate it
on one of the existing computers.

I had CS5 on both my "desktop" & a laptop. I used it on the laptop when
I needed it while traveling and used the desktop version at home.

I installed the upgrade to CS6 extended on my "desktop" (the computer I
built as a dedicated Photoshop machine), but not on my laptop. I don't
think the laptop will run it well enough.

I'll have to get a newer, more powerful laptop; one that will allow more
than a maximum of 4GB RAM before it will run CS6.