On 10/21/2015 1:02 AM, David Mann wrote:
On Oct 21, 2015, at 7:27 AM, knarf <knarftheria...@gmail.com> wrote:

Liberals pretty much swept the Atlantic provinces. By the time the polls closed
in Eastern time zones (Ontario and Quebec) it was all over. The only thing to
consider was whether Pierre Jr. was going to have his majority. Took about
another hour to confirm that...
The only thing I fear in an election is handing one party an absolute majority.
 I'd much rather have a government that's paralysed by arguments and indecision
because that way they're less likely to screw the country up.

The problem is politicians have convinced us that something must be done. Which leads to the proposition when ever something untoward happens; This is something! Therefore it must be done. (No thought required).

What you described is what the U.S. federal system is supposed to insure, government gridlock. There isn't supposed to be a centralized locus of power, either in the executive or the legislature. A mere 51% of the population, of which many may regret the stupidity of the majority in a few years, aren't supposed to be able to impose their will on the resisting 49%.

Well that's been pretty much been subverted. The the skeleton is still there. It should take a gigantic consensuses to allow such changes.

A parliamentary system, such as most "democracies" have makes it very easy for a bare majority to get the levers of power and do pretty much what it wants, and given that it's government, usually poorly.

Cheers,
Dave the cynic

immortality through not dying.
-- Woody Allen