On Oct 22, 2015, at 3:00 PM, frank theriault <knarftheria...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Certainly, two of our best governments over the past 50 years have
> been minority governments. In Canada, with three major parties, a
> minority government's effectiveness often depends on who holds the
> "balance of power". Often the third place party can have a very strong
> voice in policy formation.

We have two major parties (and only one house) but we make up for it with
proportional voting where everyone gets two votes.  One is for our electorate
MP who gets in on a simple majority.  The other vote is a "party" vote where we
vote for whichever party we want to support (the MP is also a party member so
you can double-up or mix your allegiances).  This is good for electorates where
the incumbent MP (or their party) is popular: the people who don't support them
can at least get a voice.

The party votes are collated across the entire country and any party that gets
at least 5% of the party vote, or at least one electorate seat, will be
allocated seats based on their proportion of the party vote.  This works
wonders for smaller parties, but not the ones that are too small (ie lunatics).

It's a good system but it does tend to put a lot of power into the hands of
smaller parties when a coalition is required to form the government.  And it
does make it impossible to get rid of the senior party members - anyone high
enough up the "party list" in the big parties will get a seat even if they lose
in the electorate.

Cheers,
Dave