Isn't it like a placebo? You need to justify the expenditure so you convince yourself that it works.

Alan C

-----Original Message----- From: Darren Addy
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2015 1:43 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: A side-by-side Pixel Shift Resolution comparison with 77mmLimited at f/11

My intent in showing the side by side comparison is not to make anyone
unhappy with their current equipment. Heaven knows that I believe that
very cool images can be created with ANY camera of ANY kind of
technology all the way down to a plastic Holga or home made pinhole
camera. You can have a lifetime of fun with anything, especially if
you have an imagination. And I'm not arguing that Pixel Shift
Resolutution, is, by itself, a good enough reason to justify the
purchase of a K-3II. It depends what you shoot and most people think
about the kind of photography subjects that they shoot and don't see a
use for it. Personally, I happen to have some subjects that I think it
is going to work very well on.

As to why people cannot see the difference, I can't say. I don't know
if it is their eyes, the size of the monitor they are looking at it
on, the quality of the montior they are looking at it on (or its
settings)... too many variables. The difference is clear to me, both
on my 24" work monitor and my 15" laptop (though it becomes unclear if
I turn the brightness on my laptop down).. Or they aren't clicking on
the image to actually see it at 100% pixels.

As to Boris question of print size, to see the difference, I can't
say, particularly given that some people apparently can't see the
difference on their monitors, which are 96dpi devices. To see the full
aps-c frame at 96dpi you would have a 42 x 63" print. The crop I took
for the side by side would be approximately a vertical 8x10 crop from
that 42x63" image.

PSR is simply another tool in the toolbox. Once you have the tool in
your toolbox you start thinking about different ways that it could be
used.

It is like a sharpening tool in post-processing, only much better
because that method produces artifacts when the subject is moving and
oversharpening also produces artifacts. Speaking of PSR artifacts, I
don't see why it would'n't be practical to take two images of a scene
(PSR and "normal") and put the PSR layer over the normal layer in
Photoshop and simply DROP OUT any PSR artifacts that resulted from
moving. I think that would make an image that would make those pixels
imperceptible.

Pixel Shift Resolution should make any Pentax user (or fanboy)
seriously proud of the Pentax engineers that came up with this system
and pulled it off. Pentax engineers have been figuring out how to
leverage the SR system for all kinds of amazingly innovative things
like the AstroTracer and the user-selectable AA simulator. I'd put the
Pentax designers, from ergonomics, to menu design, to the camera
itself, up against anybody's. If having the SR in the body made a lot
of sense to you and is one of the reason you picked Pentax, then pat
yourself on the back. You picked the winning horse.

And based upon my experience and what I see in the specs and (so far
in practice) the K-3 II has the potential to be objectively called the
Ultimate APS-C DSLR on the planet for versatility and image quality.