Darren Addy wrote:
My K-3II arrived today and so I had to try out the Pixel Shift
Resolution during afternoon break. Found an obliging dusty rack of
electrical wire that agreed to serve as my subject. The 77mm f/1.8
limited is a very sharp lens (as anyone who has one will tell you).

What you see in the link below is an image blown up to 100% (actual
pixels). Each is an 863 pixel x 994 pixel crop of the full 6016 x 4000
pixel image.

On my 27" Apple monitor the differences are pretty subtle. Likewise on my second Dell monitor that I use in vertical format. I suspect that a lot of that has to do with the subject matter not making it clear exactly what the plane of focus is.

Perhaps, if you took a book and set it up so that the page was at an angle to the plane of the image and shot it at mtr optimal f-stop then it would be easier to tell where the sharpest bit was to compare the two.

I also wonder how PSR also affects other characteristics such as noise and dynamic range. In theory, it makes each pixel effectively three (or four?) times the area. As such it would also be interesting to compare a test photo shot at both ISO 100 and ISO 10,000.

Since most of us don't tend to show, or look at, much of our work zoomed in at the pixel peeping level, I do wonder if there is any difference to the subjective experience, and if it would be different for different lenses.

For example, would the magic pixie dust of the FA77 (or the FA31) be more noticeable with PSR than without?

Conditions: Same exposure (2 sec. f/11, ISO 100) focused manually,
shutter fired with the 12 second self-timer. The only thing that

12 second selftimer, not the 2 second?

changed between shots was that I turned on Pixel Shift Resolution
(without moving anything). On the left is a standard out of camera
JPEG and on the right the JPEG produced with Pixel Shift Resolution.

I also wonder if the difference would be more, or less, noticeable after carefully processing the two raw files.

Click on it with your browser cursor to see it at 100%:
http://www.antiqueauto.org/assets/PSRComparison.jpg

At least for cooperative subjects, it looks (to me) like all my lenses
just magically got significantly better.

I don't know about that, but I do know that your upgrading made a significant improvement to the resolving power of all of my lenses.

--
Larry Colen  l...@red4est.com (postbox on min4est)