Malcolm,

Sorry to join late...

If you *absolutely* have to have WR lens, then I think that 16-85 is preferable. The difference between 18 and 16 mm on wide end is significant. It will give you more interesting compositional opportunities. The difference between 85 and 135 mm on the long end is less significant, because both are part of 55-300 range.

However, if WR is not mandatory, then I should suggest that neither of these lenses is interesting. At least to me they are not. I prefer faster lenses, for these reasons: possibility to get sharper images at wider apertures, more play with DOF, more options for low light photography without having to raise the ISO too much. To that end I suggest Sigma 17-70 lenses. If you can, Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 Contemporary is said to be very good. If you cannot (shameless plug here), I can easily enable you with very cheap Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 as I am going to upgrade to Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 Contemporary anyway.

There is another option - you could buy Tamron 28-75/2.8 or Sigma 24-60/2.8 (another shameless plug, as I want to sell mine to finance that upgrade, I mentioned above). They would give you widest aperture and get you ready for incoming full frame camera, should you ever want to upgrade. Both are inexpensive these days and having had the former and having the latter, I should say - they are quite excellent.

Sorry for the plugs... HTH

Boris