There's never been a Santa Claus state for the same reason. The trappings of a Communist state can however be used to keep an Elite in power, until the contradictions become to great for even those benefiting to ignore. Don't feel bad, Capitalism doesn't actually exist either, Marx invented it to give a name to his bogy man. (I have read parts of Das Kapital), reading the whole thing would require more Scotch that exists in all of Scotland).