On 11/19/2015 1:27 PM, Bob W wrote:
-----Original Message-----
[...]
disease.  I'm pretty sure that most of the camp guards in Hitler's
Germany,
Soviet Russia, Mao's China and Pol Pot's Cambodia, thought their actions
were justifiable at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY

The skull as a badge has had a long and mixed legacy as an emblem, like the Swastika, there are similar emblems used both Hindu and Native American icons that have a very different connotation.

It's only Swaticka's association with the Nazi's that makes it evil and so too the skull as a symbol.

I suspect that the Nazi's, conflated the Knight's Templar with the Teutonic Knights, and adopted one of their emblems to give some sort of legitimacy to one of their organizations.

The skull and crossed bones on a black field was at one time used by the Knights Templar as their Naval jack and I expect that if you were on a medieval merchantman in the Mediterranean besieged by Pirates I doubt that the sight of a Templar Galley under the Skull and Crossbones coming to your rescue would have been seen as evil.

Now we associate that particular flag with Pirates.

While the skit is funny I doubt that the skull emblem made any Nazi think they were bad. Many SS men may have had attacks of conscience, but I doubt the obsessed over the emblem on their caps.

So I guess what I'm saying is that the Nazi's and anti Nazi propagandists, (who really didn't need to do much), ruined everything.

immortality through not dying.
-- Woody Allen