Thanks PDML for all the responses.  You've managed to muddy my waters
even more than they already were.

I'm still leaning to the 17-70 looking for the range for a walk-around
lens when I don't have my bag with me (instead of having multiple
primes).  I'm going to look at the Sigma and Tamron equivalent as
well.  Good reports on those, but I think they're both 2.8 versus 4
with a price difference to consider.

Thanks!!!