My 2 cents... not directed at anyone in particular, but my observations to photos in general.

Photographic images should not require any background verbiage to the viewer for it to be appreciated. Images should stand by themselves on the merits of the subject matter they convey & the technical aspects of the photo - lighting, exposure, composition and focus.

While background info about the image may be interesting, for the most part, that info may indicate a failure/inability on the part of the photographer to properly capture the idea he/she was trying to relay.

Furthermore, responding to criticism with background info, justifying why the photographer did what was done, is a further indication of the 'failure' of the image.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "ann sanfedele" <ann...@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: PESO: Perched Too

Just to be clear about my comment earlier - Larry- all of us, I think, show each other photos because we want the rest to "get" what we were doing and do want to communicate - so it DOES matter whether or not the image communicates what we intendedit to say
to the rest.

I was just making the point that none of us knew the guy on the rock was there for a long time and Dan said that element was what made him take the photo.... whether or not the imageis nicely proportioned, good bokeh or whatever or just plain liked or not by others , until we were told by Dan what attracted him we couldn't tell from that photo.... we didn't have backstory.

We dont' always show each other photos because they work for us -- sometimes its because we are uncertain, or it doesnt or we need suggestions to help make it work... but don't say it doesn't matter to the photographer whether it works for the viewers- at least one or more... Not everything speaks to everyone, but there really is no point sharing a photo if you don't care at all
what others think of it...

ann