On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 3:02 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> I don't know if such an angle would have been possible, but I suspect that
> the best way to convey what Dan seems to be trying for, would be an angle
> halfway between the two he shot.  One where the person on the rock was still
> against the dark background of the forest, and yet the ocean far down below
> was visible in part of the frame.
>
> If he still has access to that spot, he could go back an re-take that photo
> with another person on the rock.  It's also possible that another time of
> day might work better, or using a flash to bring out the subject.

Thanks for your comments, Larry.  I find them interesting, challenging
and useful.

because of the way that this rock jutted out from the cliff, and
because of the lighting (I was there to grab some sunset images),
there were only two decent angles.  I can always go back, but not many
of my friends would be willing or able to climb out on that rock!
Besides, I think that his age, his hair, and his bare back all
contribute to the feeling of the shot.

This shot, I think, conveys a totally different feeling, although it
has the same subject and the same angle of view as the first Perched
image:

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=18180619&size=lg

Dan Matyola