A couple days ago I dropped my 9 year old laptop and the hard drive was trashed. I replaced it with one that I had on hand and am now completing the process of downloading and applying every Windows Vista update patch ever issued... One of the few things I still use this laptop for is processing photos while traveling. My phone now handles email, casual web browsing, etc.

The laptop has a decent dual core processor (Intel Core 2 T5300) and 4 gigs of ram. I've been using Photoshop CS 5.1 and bridge to review and do some light processing of photos. K3 DNG files are pretty slow on this setup, K5 files were not too bad.

So - before I reinstall Photoshop, any suggestions about a leaner and faster program for basic raw file processing? I don't want to spend much money since I could upgrade to a much more competent laptop for a few hundred dollars. But maybe there is a sleek and simple photo editor out there.

I'm also wondering if an earlier version of Photoshop might be the sweet spot in terms of light footprint.

Any suggestions?

Mark

---