On 2016-02-11 23:34 , Stan Halpin wrote:
The built-in Photos app on the iPad is all I've used for processing the jpegs.
Other software out there AFAIK but Photos is good enough for what I needed so I
haven't explored other options.

a couple of options that may not be obvious:

* use an iPhone …

until iOS 9, only iPads could import images via the camera connection kit; now iPhones can as well; i have used my 64GB iPad Mini (1st version) quite a bit for photo import/backup, but on my last trip i used an iPhone 6s, which has a much faster processor; i didn't even bring the iPad; the display is much smaller, but i found it very adequate and convenient

* use other apps as extensions to Photos …

with images imported to Photos, i do a few experimental edits, mainly to see what can be brought out of a photo or to crop it for immediate sharing; Photos has a limited toolset, so i also sometimes use tools from other apps via the "extensions" technique described here:

<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205245>

i haven't kept up on all apps that can be used as extensions, but i have enabled AfterLight and Camera+; these have some technical tools that go beyond what Photos can do; there are lots other apps that supply Instagram-type filters and gimmicks

again, i only do this for backup, review, test edits and sharing