From the helpful link Cotty provided and discussion here and other reading, I
have concluded:

        a. Higher numbers are “better” for values of better ranging from -50mbs
to +50mbs, more or less.
        b. The main concern is with read or write speed when streaming video.
        c. I don’t know why I should care.

Really, I don’t know why I should care. I have reluctantly assumed that all
this kerfluffel about video speed in fact relates in a somewhat linear fashion
to what I do care about which is how fast still images move from the internal
camera buffer to the SD card in the slot.  But I have also assumed that the
buffer-to-card process has a lot to do with the camera’s firmware and maybe not
so much to do with any limitations of the card. Is there anything anyplace that
tells us what the minimum necessary “speed rating” for SD is for a given
camera? Specifically, newer large-datafile cameras like the K-5, K-5ii, K-3,
K-3ii, K-1, 645D, 645Z shooting still images and not movies…