Christine Aguila wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I’ve had my new Epson V600 scanner for a few months now, and ironically I’ve
been using it more for document scanning than film.

But today I’ve stole some time to try it out on some color film.  This was
taken with my Pentax MX, and along the film edge it says Kodak Safety Film
5035.  Anyone have any idea what that means?  If I once knew, I’ve long since
forgotten.

Of this series, this has always been my favorite.  I did some dust removal, but
I can see more work needs to be done.  Also, does it look like theres a bit of
a blue color cast to it?  Or does it look ok to you guys?

Scanning quality doesn’t look too shabby for a $200 scanner, though if the
expertise of the list says otherwise, I’m willing to be schooled.

I've got a whole bunch of negatives and slides that I'd like to get scanned. I've let perfection be the enemy of the good enough for too many years. Rather than waiting on a top notch slide scanner, I've realized that what I need to do is just scan them all well enough that I can look through them on lightroom, figure out which ones are good enough for web work, and which photos are good enough to be worth the effort of a careful scan.

I haven't yet tried it yet, but I have a many years old "Epson perfection 2480 photo"
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?UseCookie=yes&oid=41623&infoType=Downloads

I'm guessing that it should be "good enough", but if there is something inexpensive that will do a better job, either in quality or workflow speed (ethernet or USB3 rather than USB2), I'm open for suggestions. I had thought about trying it previously, but for several years, the negative/slide holder had been missing, but I recently found it.

Also, I'd appreciate suggestions on software that would work well with it, particularly for converting negatives into positives. I have both Mac and Linux computers available.

Comments welcome.

http://caguilaphotography.com/1stv600scan/content/hot_air_balloon_scan_large.html

For that matter, the photo is none to shabby either.

Cheers, Christine