> On Feb 26, 2016, at 3:01 PM, mike wilson <m.9.wil...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> On 26 February 2016 at 20:52 Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
>
>> Also, I'd appreciate suggestions on software that would work well with
>> it, particularly for converting negatives into positives.  I have both
>> Mac and Linux computers available.
>
> I think Vuescan is still the standard.  It seems to work with virtually any
> scanner ever built and all popular OSs.  The only regular fault that I know of
> are issues with odd colour balances.  Experienced this myself and had to
> reinstall to fix it.  One pay and permanent updates.  I like Mr Hamrick's
> business model.

To Mike’s point, here’s the link to the VueScan Scanner Software:
http://www.hamrick.com

And from the webpage:

"VueScan can output scanned documents, photos, and film in PDF, JPEG and TIFF
formats. It can also recognize text using OCR and create multi-page pdfs using
both flatbed scanners and scanners with automatic document feeders”

The Epson software does the same as described above—the multi-page PDF feature
is great when scanning multipage materials for my students.  Optical Character
Recognition (ORC) software is included.  I’ll have to start playing around with
the photo crease reduction and dust removal features—see how far I can push
them for prints and negatives.

I’m not sure what I would gain by downloading VueScan, since I have the same
features with Epson’s software.  Any thoughts if VueScan’s software is, in
fact, superior to Epson’s software?

Cheers, Christine