Mark, one thing I have quite enjoyed about the Pentax APS-C cameras and lenses
is the size. And also the solid build. And the 1.5x crop factor. And the image
quality those times when I do my part to get things right.

Early on, first with the APS-C and then the 4/3 cameras there was much fuss
made about the trade-offs with the smaller sensors, and frequently mentioned
was that the smaller sensors in smaller bodies would have smaller lenses that
would make transportage so much easier… I guess that is true to some extent,
but I am not sure (operating from memory here and not pages of specs) that the
DA*50-135 is all that much more compact than the FA*80-200. In any case, I have
found the APS-C in general and the K-3 in particular to be very usable cameras.

Back in the film days I played around a bit with weird photographic engines.
Never a Holga, but various TLRs, old folders, etc. For a while I had 2-3 Pentax
645 bodies and a fairly broad range of lenses. (Last seen when I traded the
remainder of my kit to a list member for a K-10 IIRC). I found the 645 a very
comfortable camera to use.

So going on 2 years ago when Pentax introduced the 645Z I took the plunge. The
combination of K-3 and 645Z has been good to me. Each is a different tool for
different purposes, and having both available helps me slow down and think
about what I am trying to do.

When the K-1 was introduced I thought about the size and weight compared to the
K-3. But then I thought about the size and weight compared to the 645Z and
realized that the K-1 is yet another in a long line of reasonably compact
cameras. On its own, as a single camera system I don’t think I would be
bothered at all. Carrying the K-1 and 645Z as a two camera system, the way I
have been with the K-3 and 645Z, may however push the boundaries of
portability. We’ll see. For now I am visualizing a 2+1 system wherein I carry
K-1 and 645Z, my wife moves to the K-3 from the K-r she has been using, and I
grab the K-3 from her when I want the benefit of the 1.5x crop factor. [Note
that my current most used combination on the K-3 is the DA*50-135 + HD 1.4x
teleconverter.]

I can’t predict which one or two or three cameras I might still be using a year
from now. But I am sure that if I ultimately fallback to the K-3 I will have
few regrets. It is a wonderful camera. I look forward to seeing your results
with it.

stan