Mark Stringer wrote:

> I was very happy with the K-1 specs. Pentax did not disappoint.  Maybe
> one day I will give the full frame a try. The K-1 is really what got me
> excited.  K-3II seems to be the K-1 just a little smaller. I can see
> myself toting it around.  It is not the camera so much as the
> camera/lens combo in full frame.
>
> The K-1 with the 70-200 is a  great setup and I almost pulled the
> trigger on the lens.  After watching lot of youtube stuff and seeing
> the size of the full frame gear side by side to alternatives I realized
> it was not to be at this time.
>
> Now I want to see the HD stuff vs the regular smc lens, use what I have
> and update my lens kit.  My lens collection is very good but older.
> There is talk the older FA for film may not provide what newer lens can
> on the new digital sensors.  I will see.  I don't want to be
> disappointed and will go for the newer lens which are probably smaller
> and better.
>
> Boning up on my Lightroom skills also.  I have LR 5.  It will never the
> the "old days" ME Super, 67 and lots of time in the darkroom but I am
> looking for the "new days" now.
>
> You know I think I paid about what a K-1 costs for my *istD.  I still
> have it.

I do see your point and how this will work for you.

For myself, those same points make me wonder more about the K-1. I fully
agree that the latest lenses designed to go with full frame are likely to be
better. I cut back my lens collection a while back, but I still have a
number of lenses from my film days that could be used whilst I save up. I
get to use a Nikon D800 from time to time, and I can't say the larger camera
or heavier lens combination is an issue - for me. Of course it depends on
what you are doing; up until about 18 months or so ago, most of the time I
was carting about a tripod as well as a camera bag for landscapes, but now
I'm trying to shoot more street and urban, so a K-3 and a smaller lens is
ideal. A K3 with a 40mm pancake lens fits in my coat pocket.

Lightroom I'm finally getting to grips with, but I'm struggling with
Elements (13) at present. I think the K-1 is fractionally cheaper than I
paid for my *ist D.

No doubt the folk here will tell us what we are missing when they have the
K-1 in their hands.

Malcolm