Stanley Halpin wrote:

> I've gone through this many times.
>
> 1. Make a back-up of your images before you do anything.
> 2. If you use Lightroom to move the photos to the new location, then
> there is no need to reassociate your LR database/catalog with the
> images because LR knows where it put them.
> 3. I presume you are just moving the images to your new drive, not the
> LR application or catalog? Those two should stay on your main drive for
> the sake of processing speed.
>
> 4. If you want to get really wild and crazy…
>       a. you can split the location of your images. I don’t think LR
> cares.
>       b. On my internal hard drive, I currently have my 2016 and 2015
> folders. The 2014 and earlier have been moved to a secondary drive.
>       c. My logic is that I am much less likely to be accessing the
> older files, and so the extra search/retrieval of secondary storage
> doesn’t become an issue all that often. And so far I have been able to
> accommodate the two most-recent years’ images within my primary drive.
> As files get bigger I may need to start doing six-month rather than
> one-year chunks.

Thanks Stan. I'm doing very regular backups to hard drive(s). The main computer
is on the way out; it's long past the time that I generally replace a computer,
it won't run all the software I have and a number of things, such as the DVD
drive no longer work. I'm therefore moving as much off it as I can until I get
a replacement - with a much larger hard drive, in case of sudden failure.

Malcolm