Mark C noted:

> Regarding scanners - I'd second Godfrey's recommendation. I use a Nikon
> LS 8000, the model which preceded the 9000, and it produces consistent
> and reliable results. 99% of what I scan is B&W and Vuescan does a
> great job with it.  I do not find that I need to do much tweaking with
> B&W - I just make sure that the full tonal range of the B&W film is
> captured (no clipping of the highlights or shadows) and proceed. With
> 35mm I batch scan 12 exposures in a single pass. I can then make
> adjustments in Photoshop. I scan everything I shoot. I have scanned
> close to 4000 frames so far in 2016 (all but 200 or so being 35mm.) The
> scanner is not fast but it is on a dedicated PC and just chugs along in
> the background when I am working on the primary PC.
>
> Color negatives remain a more time consuming exposure by exposure
> process though, but I shoot only about 10 rolls of  medium format per
> year these days.
>
> I don't know what Epson scanner you are using, but I would expect that
> you should be able to get good results with 35mm slides. I had good
> luck with batch scanning 35mm color Ektachrome slides using a Canon
> Canoscan
> FS4000 in the past. As I recall, more contrasty and saturated films
> (Velvia and E100VS for example) needed more tweaking. But could batch
> scan E100S and Provia with few problems. Canon had its own version of
> IR dust removal (I think it was called FARE) that worked pretty well.

I'll take a good look at this. The Epson V600 is the one I have, although I
wish I'd found a V850 (although my V600 was a bargain). The slide film I
used, particularly in the late 70s/early 80s, was chosen on price at the
time. I often bought 10 rolls of discount film and batch processed them when
a good processing deal came up. As a result, I have many types of film, each
of which requires tweaking a different way.

Another reason why I'm keen to speed this process up, is that despite
careful storage, some batches of film are starting to deteriorate (often
it's the more expensive films), and whilst I can now restore such film
fairly successfully, it's yet more time to each image.

Malcolm